During pregnancy and breastfeeding when the hunger hits there is little time to spare. The nausea, anger, or extreme tiredness is sure to follow. Having a few snacks on hand or at least easy to put together are key in overcoming these desperate moments.
In general, I think sticking with a limited number of snack ideas, for at least a week, is a good idea. It makes grocery planning/shopping easier, and additionally there will probably be less waste. Nothing is worse than throwing out expensive groceries that have passed their prime before you could get to them.
The other key to good snacking is having a balance of carbohydrates and protein. If your snacks are carbohydrate heavy, you are at risk for feeling hungry soon after.
So put down the candy and take a look at the following list of ideas.
· Trail mix, ideally separated into snack size bags. Don’t feel like making your own? Trader’s Joes carries individual sized trail mix bags.
· Hard boiled eggs
· Banana or Apple with peanut butter. Have a desk at work? Store a jar of your favorite nut butter in a drawer
· Handful of nuts
· Popcorn and nuts
· Carrots and hummus
· Crackers with cheese. Pre-slice cheese and keep in an airtight container or try some of the individually packaged cheese
· Celery and peanut butter
· Cottage cheese or yogurt with fruit
· Roasted chickpeas
· ½ peanut butter and jelly sandwich on whole grain bread
Have any go to snacks? Would love to hear what you turn to when the hunger strikes!